Advanced Landing Clinic at Comps
by Mitch Shipley, Ph.D.
Overview: Intended for the intermediate/advanced rated pilot on a higher performance glider. Thorough review of theory, backed up by video review, of how hang gliders are (and are not!) effectively landed. Repeated (8-10 tows) practice landings with full HD video review over a three or four day period.
Provided: ET system, ET operator, Videographer/retrieval crew, Launch carts and retrieval back to the line
- Airspeed and Angle of Attack Control
- Transition of hands
- Rounding out into ground effect
- Flaring (one style does NOT fit all situations!)
- Night before (or morning of) first day : 30-60 min review of landing techniques and theory
- Morning landing practice (0800 till pilots meeting) with goal of > 2 landings for each pilot
- Evening video reviews of days landings
- Repeat for 3 to 4 days in order to get everybody 8-10 landings
Price: $150 each up to 3 pilots, $125 for 4-6 pilots, $100 for more than 7
Goal: Repeated (~ 10) landing practice with video review and professional instruction to cement in good landing techniques for high performance gliders – all for less than the price of a downtube(s)!